As the title says – you can’t go wrong with pastry and cheese! A heaven sent combination of yummy food which feeds not just the stomach, but the soul as well!
So a quick, easy peasey dinner with little preparation and a quick cooking time!
You will need (and remember I don’t measure accurately I’m a guess work cook really!)
– A packet of ready roll puff pastry (feel free to make your own)
– A packet of feta style cheese (we used the cheapest value version which is not the nicest to eat raw, but perfect for cooking and amazingly cheap)
– A courgette
– Several rashers of Quorn bacon, the carnivores amongst you can of course us real bacon or ham if you wish.
– Roughly chop the veggies and fry gently in your preferred seasoning, we used garlic, black pepper and basil.
We also used an oil spray as it helps to keep moisture to a minimum and avoid soggy pastry
– Gently fry off the Quorn bacon until crispy but not too over cooked
– Cube the cheese into pieces the same size as the veggies
– Snip the bacon into strips (I used scissors just cos it’s easier)
– Remove everything from the heat and stir in the bacon and cheese to the veggie mix
– Roll out a flat rectangle of the pastry (or just open the packet if you bought the ready rolled stuff!) and place it on a greased baking sheet
– Score a line around the edge of the pasty, about an inch (15cm ish) in from the edge
– Spread the veggie mixture over the pastry keeping it inside the line you have scored.
– Bake in a reheated oven at 200 c for about 25/30 minutes until the topping is crispy and the pastry nicely browned
We served ours hot from the oven with a crisp caesar salad, but it is equally good cold the next day. Mind you that does mean you have to not eat it all straight away, which is what happened to us this time! oooops!