The news is full of meteors showers this week, how best to watch them, which direction to face, weather conditions, etc etc etc. Well we decided to read half the instructions, make a last minute decision, and stumble through it as we usually do – so here is our our handy tips for meteor watching!
1. Plan in advance for meteor watching, making a decision at 10pm that it might be fun to have a go often leads to missed meteors and a cold arse.
2. Check before it gets dark how to open any ladders required for reaching you preferred viewing platform – doing in the dark can lead to nipped fingers.
3. Choose a spot with a good view of the sky with as little light pollution as possible and make yourself comfortable, it can take a while for you eyes to acclimatise to the dark.
4. Remember to take everything you need with you to your viewing spot – blanket, hot drink, cigarette lighter if required and always remember to go to the loo before you go up the ladder! (can you see where this is going?)
5. Always check before going up a ladder that you are happy with the arrangements for coming down, having a hissy fit from the shed roof about being scared of falling and not wanting to come down is not helpful or conducive to a pleasant evening.
6. If you are lucky enough to be able to, make a sudden impulsive decision to jump in the car and go somewhere with a better view, go on be spontaneous!
And what will you learn from this experience? Well your bladder is probably smaller than you think it is, you really don’t like coming down ladders, there is a lot of light pollution where you life, but you only have to go maybe 5 miles to leave it behind and be able to see the meteors – which are very beautiful by the way.
You’ll learn that despite being in your 40’s and used to early nights and cocoa with your carpet slippers, it’s still ok to act like a teenager and go rushing about the countryside late at night for a giggle. That it’s ok to stand in a field in the dark and hold hands with your hubbie, whilst you stare at the sky and realise that he really is the most wonderful person and life is pretty darned amazing!
Photo courtesy of rwarrin on https://www.flickr.com/